Living in Switzerland – Information and counselling online  

Post-compulsory education

Many students wish to continue their studies beyond post-obligatory school. Over-16s may go to senior school (Gymnase or Lycée) in order to follow Higher secondary studies (Secondary II).  Students obtain a school-leaving diploma which leads to University entrance or to a place in a Higher Specialist School (HES). A further option is to take a certificate in General Studies, which can lead to higher professional education. 

In this section: fachmittelschule, High school