Living in Switzerland – Information and counselling online  

Sojourn of children

In Switzerland, children born from foreign parents with a certain residence permit have the right to a residence permit through the authorization of residence that was granted to the parents.

This right is applied to children from third-world countries, as long as they are single and live with their parents, but only up until their 18th birthday. Afterwards they must request for a personal residence permit. For children from the EU/EFTA, this right remains valid until their 21st birthday.

After a divorce the parent having obtained parental authority can decide on the residence of the child. That is to say if the foreign parent, with the child custody, decides to return to his/her country of origin, they can take their child/children with them.

In this section: themen/familie/aufenthalt/kindernachzug